Chicken cacciatore recipe
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken about 3 pounds, cut in pieces
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated in rings
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut in medium chunks
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium bay leaf
Time to completion:
30 - 40 minutes
The quantities for this chicken cacciatore recipe are good for 6 servings.
Shake chicken, few pieces at a time, in clean bag with flour. Brown chicken on all sides in hot oil in large heavy skillet.
Remove chicken as it browns. Add onion rings, green pepper and garlic to skillet; and saute until tender but do not brown. Drain excess fat.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, salt, oregano, pepper and bay leaf. Return chicken pieces to skillet, spooning sauce over chicken.
Cover and simmer gently about 30 minutes or until very tender. Remove bay leaf and discard.
Good served with pasta or rice.
Mariana & Catalin
This excellent chicken cacciatore recipe was written in 2001 by Barbara Bratel Collier and is © 2001 Sun Newspapers.